Subject: Re: [boost] Review request: auto-index tool
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-21 09:04:39

On 1/21/2011 7:13 AM, John Maddock wrote:
> I'm not sure if we're doing reviews of tools - we haven't in the past -
> but I thought it would be good to get feedback anyway...
>
> Auto-index is a tool for semi-automating the task of adding an index to
> quickbook/boostbook/doxygen/docbook documentation. Auto-index acts at
> the docbook level to scan for terms in a concordance script-file, but
> can also scan headers for classes, typedefs, functions and macros to
> index and a lot more besides. Auto-index supports multiple indexes (for
> example class, function, macro and typedef indexes out of the box), and
> can either delegate the actual index formatting to the XSL stylesheets,
> or produce the index itself (faster, also better looking for HTML indexes).
>
> Code is in the sandbox under tools/auto_index, documentation can be
> viewed online at:
> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/tools/auto_index/doc/html/index.html
>
> Currently the math, type_traits and spirit libraries are using this tool
> in trunk to produce indexes - take a look at those libraries to see the
> sort of indexes produced.

I am for this review also. I would like to use indexing in my libraries
in the sandbox but have not done it because it would require the
end-user to download your library in order to regenerate the docs. If
auto-index were part of Boost it would be easier for potential Boost
libraries in the sandbox to use it.