Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-21 11:59:20

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Hartmut Kaiser
<hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> I can't wait to get that so that I can make cpp-netlib just use these
>> smart strings throughout. :D
>
> If it's just for a std::string compatible class being implemented the way
> you like it (COW, value semantics, reference counting, or plain old data
> copying, etc.), you might want to look at flex_string, a policy based
> std::string equivalent (here:
> http://loki-lib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/loki-lib/trunk/include/loki/flex/
> , also part of wave).

I'm not sure though if that string is immutable. What I want really is
something like what D has for strings, which are immutable with true
value semantics -- and are thought of as ranges (which last time I
checked are also default UTF-8 encoded or something like that).

It's not just about being std::string compatible, defining lazy
operations on it and doing things *right* as a string data type is
what I'm interested in.

Thanks for the pointer though I just might use flex_string in cpp-netlib. :D

--
Dean Michael Berris
about.me/deanberris