Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-21 11:52:31

> >> 2. In the case that you do have strings copied around, consider the
> >> case in multi-threaded applications where you have different threads
> >> running on different cores.
> >
> > Copying the string data outweighs the reference count update because
> > of the allocation.
> >

> Right.
>
> So I guess I can be convinced that ref counting in strings would be just
> fine.
>
> I can't wait to get that so that I can make cpp-netlib just use these
> smart strings throughout. :D

If it's just for a std::string compatible class being implemented the way
you like it (COW, value semantics, reference counting, or plain old data
copying, etc.), you might want to look at flex_string, a policy based
std::string equivalent (here:
http://loki-lib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/loki-lib/trunk/include/loki/flex/
, also part of wave).

Regards Hartmut