Subject: Re: [boost] [V1.46][Spirit] request for late minute changes to release branch
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-24 12:09:32

> On 1/23/2011 10:44 PM, Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
> > Eric Niebler wrote:
> >> I would be ok with poisoning the broken header with #error. That's in
> >> addition to removing any mention of the broken feature from the docs
> >> and release notes. But please do it soon. I think the beta is to be
> >> rolled tomorrow.
> >
> > poisoning the utree headers touches exactly the same set of files as
> > pulling them.
>
> Not true. You wouldn't have to touch any build files to poison the
> headers.
>
> > The overall design makes utree completely nonintrusive to other parts
> > of Spirit, the headers are not included anywhere.
> >
> > The same is true for the tests: the Jamfiles have to be touched in any
> case.
>
> They don't. Let the tests for utree run and fail. utree is broken, after
> all.

Well, that's something I wouldn't have done even if push came to shove -
under no circumstances.

> > May I ask for permission to remove the files instead of poisoning
> > them? The risk is the same, but the result much more desirable...
>
> Sorry, no. We have a way to avoid changing build files just before
> release. Let's take it.

Well, it's too late for that. You said to react quickly as the beta is to go
out today (Monday) and none of the release managers has gotten back to us
before yesterday (late) evening. As we needed to decide in a timely fashion,
we pulled utree completely from the release branch only.

All tests (those, which caught up) are green, which makes me believe we did
the right thing.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com