Subject: Re: [boost] [V1.46][Spirit] request for late minute changes to release branch
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-24 20:05:22

On 1/25/2011 12:09 AM, Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
> Eric Niebler wrote:
>> Sorry, no. We have a way to avoid changing build files just before
>> release. Let's take it.
>
> Well, it's too late for that. You said to react quickly as the beta is to go
> out today (Monday) and none of the release managers has gotten back to us
> before yesterday (late) evening. As we needed to decide in a timely fashion,
> we pulled utree completely from the release branch only.
>
> All tests (those, which caught up) are green, which makes me believe we did
> the right thing.

(cc'ing the other release managers)

Hartmut, you had your answer from the release managers, and you had it
in a timely fashion: pull the docs and poison the broken headers. But
you didn't like the answer, so you asked, "Really?" And when you still
didn't hear the answer you wanted, you went ahead and made your changes
anyway. This is a serious breach of protocol. We can't have people
making the changes that make them feel good willy-nilly just before a
release. C'mon, you know better than this. Please don't do that again,
or your changes will be reverted.

Release managers: our process should include a way to physically lock
down the release branch at the cut-off date. This is not the first time
changes have (intentionally or accidentally) been merged without
permission during code freeze. Policing this policy on the mailing list
is not working.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing