Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2011 - Do we need to starting thinking about it?
From: Andrew Sutton (asutton.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-24 14:21:09

> Add to this:
>
> 4. All students should submit a miniature, self-done aptitude test as part
> of their proposal. The Boost build / test / doc chain can be a big
> motivation-killer for students who just want to get on with coding. Getting
> that step done before the SoC starts would help mentors decide on the best
> candidates and give the students a bit of a head start.

+1

There are a number of other GSoC projects that mandate aptitude tests as
part of the application project. Beyond getting the toolchain up and
running, are there any kind of projects that we should have potential
students focus on? Maybe require some programming involving basic STL
concepts (e.g., Containers, Algorithms, and Iterators).

> 5. Encourage toolkit-like additions to existing libraries, rather than
> writing a full-blown library. These have historically been more successful.

+1

Also a good set of projects.

Andrew