Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2011 - Do we need to starting thinking about it?
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-24 14:27:42

On 2011-01-24 12:16, Andrew Sutton wrote:

> So... with regards to a project page: I would suggest the following: project
> ideas should give some very general concepts with some short explanation,
> and a list of mentors. For example:
>
> Project: Strings and Encodings
> Strings are sequences of n-byte characters, whose values may be interpreted
> by different Encodings (e.g., UTF-8, Base64, Quoted-Printable, etc.).
> Mentors: Bob Smith, Fred Jones

Here's one:

Project: Boost.Python improvements for NumPy bindings
Boost.Python currently does have some support for NumPy arrays. However,
that is very limited, and doesn't expose any real C(++) API with access
to raw memory.
A variety of improvements (and even specific implementations) have been
discussed over recent months (search the relevant boost mailing lists
!), which any successful applicant should draw inspiration from.

Mentors: Stefan Seefeld, ???

How does this sound ? (And, I believe that such a project is small and
focused enough to give good chances to succeed, including proper testing
and documentation.)

> Instructions on the page direct students to a) search the Boost mailing list
> archives for previous discussion on the topic and b) contact the mentors
> (preferably on list) to discuss the basic expectations for the project.
> Note: *expectations* not *requirements*. It should be up to the student to
> generate a proposal that identifies the requirements of the project.

I agree.

         Stefan