Subject: [boost] [threads] namespace & externs
From: scot shinderman (scot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-25 12:01:36

Boosters,

    In boost/thread/src/pthread/thread.cpp we see extern "C" {}
around code such as tls_destructor. Is this needed so it
interfaces w/ native pthread local storage?
     When a vendor program is built against a specific version
of boost it usually becomes necessary to isolate other users
via a namespace. However, anything with extern "C"
style defeats this. Aside from explicit linking to native c
api's are there reasons for this; also what's considered the best
style to isolate different versions -- currently we modify every header
with a version-ed namespace wrapper.

thanks!
-s-