Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2011 - Do we need to starting thinking about it?
From: Andrew Sutton (asutton.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-25 13:05:05

> well, a boost libray is not `finished' when coding/documentation is done,
> but
> when the actual code becomes part of boost. so even if a student has the
> ambition of finishing coding/documentation/examples/benchmarks, the work is
> easily lost.

It's not really finished then either. It still has to be maintained.

> but maybe it would be a good project to finish a library from earlier
> years,
> including the review at the end of the gsoc period (maybe with the mentor
> as
> review manager).

I'm very much in favor of this, by the way. We tried to do this with at
least two projects last year. Boost.Process, which seems to have worked out
well. Stefan Seefeld also wanted to do this with his XML library, but we
didn't get a reasonable proposal. We probably torpedoed any reasonable
proposals by over-stressing too many requirements on the mailing list.

Andrew