Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a simple buffer abstraction?
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-27 09:49:06

Boris Kolpackov-2 wrote:

> So, unless I missed something obvious, I would like to propose a simple
> buffer abstraction for inclusion into Boost. Here are some additional
> motivations:
>
> - Seeing that there is a number of library-specific implementations,
> it is quite clear that such a class is often needed.
>
> - If we have a "top-level" buffer class, various i/o libraries could
> use it in their interfaces which would lead to better library
> interoperability (i.e., one could receive data from a socket into
> a buffer using asio and then pass that buffer to iostream or
> interprocess without any conversions).
>
> - A top-level buffer class will be fairly light-weight (perhaps even
> header-only). Right now, if I am to use a buffer implementation from
> say, asio, I need to install and potentially link to that library.
>
> If the community believes this is a good idea, I will next send the
> buffer interface for review/discussion.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I'm working on a frame concept, which is something like a bidirectional
buffer. It allows to prepend and append binary data, and obtain/remove the
header and the trailer.

In addition we can split a frame in fragments and join fragments to make a
frame.

All these features are needed when working with protocol stacks.

Best,
Vicente