Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-27 09:48:26

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 22:16:14 +0800
Dean Michael Berris <mikhailberis_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Question: if you replaced std::string with your immutable string, how
>> would you build strings one character at a time for it?

> [...] Actually, what std::copy requires is an iterator to model the
> OutputIterator concept. This means, std::back_inserter would somehow
> be analogous to std::ostream_iterator<>, and while we're at it, you
> build strings with a "stream" instead of modifying an already created
> string. :)

In other words, essentially the same as using a mutable buffer, then
copying the data to an immutable string. I'll be interested in the code
you propose for it.

>>> So why would I not want to call it boost::string? ;)
>>
>> Because it isn't a string, in the accepted C++ sense? :-)
>
> Well one thing is certain: I suck at names. So if there's a suitable
> name that better models my notion of a string, then I'm open to
> suggestions. [...]

The "istring" you mentioned in a later message is good enough for this
discussion, though it might not be descriptive enough for a final name.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.