Subject: Re: [boost] [string] proposal
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-28 11:50:48

On 27 January 2011 16:27, Anders Dalvander <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> 3. Unrealistic pipe dream about replacing std::string.
>
> Replacing std::string will never happen. Deprecating std::string in favor
> of std::text/std::unicode/std::xstring may happen in the long run.

I don't see that either. While we can design a string class that is better
*for certain circumstances*, I just don't see how creating a class with a
different interface and different efficiency *tradeoffs* is ever going to
replace the status quo.

What I can see happening is designing a string class so useful that it gets
added to some future standard. Anything more than that is just silly.

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-1404