Subject: [boost] Immutable data structure survey results
From: Gregory Crosswhite (gcross_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-31 02:45:38

Hey everyone,

Here are the results of the survey that I ran for the name of a
potential immutable byte sequence data structure; each line contains
the name that was entered and the number of times that it appeared:

chain: 9
boost::text: 3
sequence: 2
string: 2
atomic_buffer: 1
blob: 1
buffer: 1
bytes: 1
chord (from the Latin chorda meaning string): 1
const_buf: 1
const_string: 1
data_block: 1
fixed_sequence<char>: 1
frame: 1
immutable::string: 1
immutable_sequence: 1
imstring: 1
rod: 1
rope: 1
sequence<char>: 1
strand: 1
tier: 1
whole_buffer: 1
wire: 1
yarn: 1
TOTAL: 37

To be transparent, I have also attached the script that I used to
generate the above, which includes the raw results pasted inside a
multi-line string. (Yes Artyom I included your vote in the tally.)

I apologize for any problems you might have had with this service. I
considered using another free service online which would be better
suited for this purpose, but I wasn't sure of how many responses there
would be and most services put a cap on 100 responses for their free
services, whereas the service I have access to through my university has
no such restriction. Since the actual number of responses was less than
half of 100 I will know for future reference that one of the other free
services should work just fine for this purpose.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Cheers,
Greg