Subject: Re: [boost] Process discussions
From: Matthias Schabel (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-31 12:05:37

> What's the point of comparison when you say "more" effective?
> How do you measure effectivity in the first place? As far as
> I know, Boost produces top notch libraries that are more effective
> than even a thousand GIT hosted open source libraries out there.

OTOH, there are a number of large domains where Boost does not
compete, either at all or effectively : ITK, VTK, FFTW, ATLAS are a few
open-source projects I have personally used and have found to be
substantially easier to deal with than Boost. That being said, I have
no doubt that Boost expertise could be very profitably applied in
those problem domains.

> As an analogy, an instant camera in the hands of a pro will produce
> superb results, while a top of the line DSLR camera in the hands
> of an amateur will never reach the same level of quality.

Unfortunately, it is extremely rare for the genius camera engineer to also
be a genius photographer, and vice versa... It is a little egotistical to believe
that one's facility and expertise in one area extends to another
completely different one.

Matthias