Subject: Re: [boost] Rave for proposed Boost.Local (functions)
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-02 07:23:16

Mathias Gaunard wrote:

> On 02/02/2011 08:46, Michael Caisse wrote:
>> On 02/01/2011 11:24 PM, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> It might help Lorenzo's cause to give specific examples where he (or
>>> anyone else) feels the (proposed) Boost.Local construct is superior in
>>> some way to the Boost.Phoenix construct.
>>>

>> Agreed. As a heavy user of Phoenix 2.0 I am unable to see the
>> improvements over existing Phoenix or the anticipate release of 3.0. A
>> list of benefits over existing solutions as well as known limitations
>> would be extremely helpful in determining the relevance of this proposed
>> library.
>
> I can see one clear advantage: error messages are readable.

To quote the Boost.Local docs:
"Warning
Unfortunately, there are intrinsic limitations to the amount of syntactic
error checking that can be done by the parsing macros implemented using the
preprocessor. As a consequence, an error in using the parenthesized syntax
might result in cryptic preprocessor errors. The best way to identify and
correct these errors is usually to visually inspect the signature comparing
it with the parenthesized syntax grammar (see the Grammar section). When
syntactic errors can be detected by the parsing macros, they are raised at
compile-time using error messages of the form ERROR_description_text."