Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Moving beyond arm waving?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-03 10:46:03

At Thu, 3 Feb 2011 08:31:33 -0500,
Ronald Garcia wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2011, at 8:07 PM, David Bergman wrote:
>
> > On Feb 2, 2011, at 5:57 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> Part of this also has to do with what systems people are willing to invest in
> >> supporting. Several of us at least are enthusiastic about moving to Git. I
> >> wouldn't be so interested in working on it if it were going to be something
> >> else. I also have a personal opinion that Git is winning the DVCS
> >> war-of-popularity, FWIW.
> >
> > My opinion is that Git is winning the VCS war-of-popularity - might take two years, though.
> >
> > Yes, Git is (obviously?) a much better alternative for Boost than is Bazaar or Mercurial (or Darcs...)
> >

> For those of us who haven't been following the DVCS revolution closely, this
> isn't obvious. I look forward to seeing some more information on the wiki
> page (or perhaps links to messages that have passed by in this forum?) about
> how these different systems' features/designs relate to Boost's development
> process.

This conversation (except for any parts that may be boost-specific---but Boost
isn't really that unique in any way that matters to the issue) has been had and
re-had in many other fora. Like all such discussions, it has a tendency to
inspire fla^H^H^Hunproductive interactions. Furthermore, it's my personal
experience (FWIW) that the only way to really understand these tools and
especially the user experiences they confer is to work with them. I don't think
you can learn very much as a spectator, in this case. So to anyone who cares
about this issue, and wants to catch up, I suggest you do the research yourself.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing