Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Moving beyond arm waving?
From: Anthony Williams (anthony.ajw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-03 03:22:36

Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> writes:

> At Wed, 2 Feb 2011 17:36:24 -0500,
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> > This isn't about choosing the best VCS.  It's about choosing the best
>> > VCS with the most momentum, that will continue to be maintained, and
>> > that has a design most appropriate to Boost's future.
>>
>> Exactly. This isn't about VCS in general. The context is Boost.
>>
>> I probably shouldn't have even mentioned Fossil since it isn't a
>> serious contender AFAIK.
>>
>> What about Mercurial and Bazaar? It would be good to hear about
>> personal experiences with these systems.
>
> My personal experience is that Mercurial's "multiple heads on a branch" system
> is conceptually broken and hard to use. I've only used bzr enough grab some
> source from somewhere.

Interesting. I think it maps nicely to reality --- Bob clones the shared
repo and makes changes whilst simultaneously Joe clones the shared repo
and makes changes. Since they both made changes to the same branch you
need to mark that somehow when they push/pull from each other ---
creating multiple heads on the branch clearly highlights this.

I use Mercurial extensively, on quite a few projects; it is my VCS of
choice at the moment. I find it more intuitive and easier to use than
git.

Anthony

--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/