Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Moving beyond arm waving?
From: Belcourt, K. Noel (kbelco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-03 16:00:50

On Feb 3, 2011, at 1:48 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

> Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> I've read that a lot of project switching to (any DSVC) did that to
>> not have
>> to hack the conversion tools too much. But it depends on the real
>> needs
>> regarding the source history.
>
> Part of the reason we're putting this much effort into it is that we
> want a
> process which split Boost up into submodules during the migration
> process,
> while preserving as much history within each separate submodule as
> possible.
> There's just no tool out there that does that right now. So since
> we needed
> to write a tool anyway, why not solve the whole problem.

I haven't been following this closely so ignore if you've already
discussed / decided this.

I'd much prefer to leave the repo structure unchanged and migrate
directly into git "as is". Restructure the repo into submodules after
we've made the transition to git. It will be much easier to
restructure the repo with everything already in git. There's two
upsides, we lose no commit history and it only perturbs one aspect at
a time (first give people chance to use same repo layout using new
tool, followed by a restructure of the repo into submodules using the
new tool). I worry about perturbing too many variables at once.

-- Noel