Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Moving beyond arm waving?
From: John Wiegley (johnw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-03 15:48:04

Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Do you (boost devs) have to keep really all the history of the project in
> the git repo(s)? Or maybe just some years would be fine? The rest could be
> kept in an historical svn, still available in read-only later.

Having to use two different tools to track down a past change you're looking
for is onerous in the extreme. It would render "git blame" and "git bisect" a
lot more useless.

> I've read that a lot of project switching to (any DSVC) did that to not have
> to hack the conversion tools too much. But it depends on the real needs
> regarding the source history.

Part of the reason we're putting this much effort into it is that we want a
process which split Boost up into submodules during the migration process,
while preserving as much history within each separate submodule as possible.
There's just no tool out there that does that right now. So since we needed
to write a tool anyway, why not solve the whole problem.

John