Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Moving beyond arm waving?
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-08 01:27:20

Dave Abrahams wrote:

> At Mon, 07 Feb 2011 09:53:52 -0600,
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> I would also like to know:
>>
>> 1. How does that non-versioned complete integrated tree work as regards
>> updates/pulls?
>
> Today, you call GenHeaders explicitly, but if you check out Marcus' work
> you
> don't have to.

I worked with a build system that did something like that, generate headers
to a common directory tree that forwards to the real header files. This has
some drawbacks:

* it takes time to generate the headers
* the user will need to jump to the real headers to look for details
* we need a cleanup to ensure that removed files are no more on the common
directory having as consequence a complete rebuild.

Then we moved to copy instead of generate forward headers and last we moved
to add on the SCM soft links to the real headers. While this is done by hand
we found it was the best compromise. I don't know if Svn or Git allows to
create soft links on all the platforms we use.

Just in case the build system you are proposing could had or already solve
one of these issues.

Best,
Vicente