Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Moving beyond arm waving?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-08 14:20:48

At Mon, 7 Feb 2011 22:27:20 -0800 (PST),
Vicente Botet wrote:

> Dave Abrahams wrote:
> >
> > At Mon, 07 Feb 2011 09:53:52 -0600,
> > Rene Rivera wrote:
> >> I would also like to know:
> >>
> >> 1. How does that non-versioned complete integrated tree work as regards
> >> updates/pulls?
> >
> > Today, you call GenHeaders explicitly, but if you check out Marcus' work
> > you
> > don't have to.
> >

> I worked with a build system that did something like that, generate headers
> to a common directory tree that forwards to the real header files. This has
> some drawbacks:
>
> * it takes time to generate the headers

I suppose. You only have to do it once.

> * the user will need to jump to the real headers to look for details

Jump there from where? Any error messages will point at the real headers. What
else is there?

> * we need a cleanup to ensure that removed files are no more on the common
> directory

Yes.

> having as consequence a complete rebuild.

Huh? I don't see why that should be necessary. Just remove the right
forwarding headers and you're golden.

> Then we moved to copy instead of generate forward headers and last we moved to
> add on the SCM soft links to the real headers. While this is done by hand we
> found it was the best compromise. I don't know if Svn or Git allows to create
> soft links on all the platforms we use.

If you mean a soft link in the filesystem, I think the answer is that some OS
platforms don't support them. If you mean something else, I need clarification.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing