Subject: Re: [boost] [config] Request for BOOST_SYMBOL_IMPORT_VISIBLE ?
From: Mostafa (mostafa_working_away_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-08 04:13:28

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 00:45:28 -0800, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

>>> I still think that re-exporting "just enough and no more" is error
>>> prone, and we should just follow the gcc guidelines and re-export
>>> everything that's imported - I rather got the impression that gcc will
>>> only actually generate re-export data for vtables anyway?
>>
>> True, it may be error prone. Sorry, I can't seem to find the gcc
>> guideline you're referring to, can you point it out?
>
> The usual http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility article, under "Step by
> Step Guide", they recommend:
>
> #define FOX_HELPER_DLL_IMPORT __attribute__ ((visibility("default")))

It might well be a recommendation, again, I wish they were a little more
explicit. I took it as an example of one possible way of
importing/exporting, not necessarily a recommendation, or even a
guideline. The wording "Place something along the lines of the following
code in your master header file" leaves some room for (mis)interpretation.

Maybe someone should query the gcc folks for clarification on what they
recommend?

Mostafa