Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Moving beyond arm waving?
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-08 17:18:12

On 02/08/2011 10:48 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> Since when does Windows support symlinks?!

API for NTFS since XP I think.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363878%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Windows 7 and posibly Vista have an mklink command line utility.

Symbolic directory links should work close to perfect for this given
that the directory structure support it.

Some note that there are limitations to symbolic links to targets to the
same file system. That I think apply to I Junctions which have been
around for a while as API. There are diferences between Junctions and
Symbolic Links in Windows.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365006%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I know for sure that mklink on Win7 can make directory links even to a
samba SMB share on a remote linux box. It just works.

-- Bjørn