Subject: Re: [boost] Using Boost without confusing Intellisense
From: Jarl Lindrud (jarl.lindrud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-09 17:24:13

Matthew Chambers <matt.chambers42 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I use many Boost libraries, develop with MSVC (currently 2008), and build both
my project and its
> Boost dependencies with Boost.Build. The one thing that's always frustrated me
using boost is its
> tendency to confuse MSVC's Intellisense. I don't know if this holds true for
other IDEs with an
> Intellisense-like capability, but heavy use of boost::shared_ptr and
BOOST_FOREACH in particular
> seem to confuse Intellisense in a large project. MSVC never knows what to show
when dereferencing a
> shared_ptr and it never defines the instance variable in BOOST_FOREACH.

Intellisense is useless in many situations. The best thing to do IMO is to
disable it completely and install Visual Assist, which has a far more competent
code parser than Intellisense.

VS2010 has a completely reworked Intellisense implementation, but unfortunately
it is still much slower than Visual Assist (thus adding to the general slowness
and bloat of VS2010...).

Jarl