Subject: Re: [boost] Using Boost without confusing Intellisense
From: Matthew Chambers (matt.chambers42_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-09 16:38:35

On 2/9/2011 2:36 PM, Nelson, Erik - 2 wrote:
> My group upgraded to MSVC2010 recently on my recommendation. 2010 has its own issues that may be just as annoying as the 2008 Intellisense, if not more so, including (in my experience)
>
> - a deathly slow editor
> - no Multiple Document Interface
> - a separate Intellisense server created process for each open document (my understanding- correct me if I'm wrong)
> - frequent crashes of these background processes
> - CPU hog
> - much slower compiles

I have both 2010 and 2008 installed and I have experienced these issues as well as the showstopper
for me: no Intellisense for C++/CLI.

I also tend to have at least 3 solutions open at once, and 2010's just too much of a hog to do that.

Regardless, there are going to be lots of sites still using MSVC 2005 and 2008 for a long time to
come (consider MSVC6's sadly entrenched userbase), and I think simple workarounds like I've proposed
would significantly ease development with boost when used with these IDEs. It would probably even
make the 2010 Intellisense more stable.

-Matt