Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Boost Filesystem now has public GitHub repository
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-13 15:10:10

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Lars Viklund <zao_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:12:06PM +0100, Lars Viklund wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:15:55AM -0500, Beman Dawes wrote:
>> > mklink filesystem.hpp ..\libs\filesystem\include\boost\filesystem.hpp
>> > mklink /d filesystem ..\libs\filesystem\include\boost\filesystem
>> >
>> > The effect is to export the SVN trunk, then replace libs/filesystem
>> > with a git clone of the public repository. boost/filesystem is
>> > replaced with a symlink to libs\filesystem\include\boost\filesystem
>>
>> Note that the final two mklink steps are _not_ performable as a standard
>> user, they require administrative privileges.
>>
>> The only kind of link I seem to be able to create as a standard test
>> user on my machine is a file hardlink.
>>
>> Keep this in mind for Ryppl and whatever processes that might be
>> proposed for Boost adoption, as anything that requires admin privileges
>> will be completely unfeasible for many users of the library, and quite
>> possibly for library contributors as well.
>
> I forgot to mention, what will happen if you're on a filesystem not
> NTFS, like a network drive, a thumbstick or a NFS mount, or on a Windows
> not Vista+?

The Ryppl folks are well aware of those issues, and so they generate
forwarding headers.

One of my concerns was that I wanted to be sure that symlinks worked
for boost developers when available. Most modern hard-disk filesystems
support symlinks so it would be a shame if boost developers couldn't
make use of them when available.

--Beman