Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Boost Filesystem now has public GitHub repository
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-14 13:15:41

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:59, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > I'm wondering if to make a more accurate comparison of the git experience
> > vs. svn, it would be worthwhile to experiment with maintaining a
> modularized
> > Boost Library directly in subversion.
>
> That might be interesting, but in SVN I don't know how to do the
> equivalent of Git local commits with occasional pushes to a public
> remote. I've been using that development model on other projects and
> have come to like it so much I've lost interest in SVN.

The core idea being to have repositories by libraries (if I understood
correctly) or something similar, maybe using the "externals" feature of SVN
(http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.externals )

There would be as much repos as libraries, with maybe a central one using
externals to "bind them all". That would be the same idea anyway with other
DSVC I guess (using the "subrepo" features that are similar to externals but
implemented in another way).

The main problem (other than moving repos) would then be to have enough
resources host each library (I mean server time/space/bandwidth). That could
be fixed by putting everything on Sourceforge or similar websites, instead
of just one big server.

This kind of organisation is easier to setup with dsvc but it's still doable
with SVN too.