Subject: Re: [boost] Distributed Boost with CMake: proposal and volunteering
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-19 13:15:05

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>... Most of what's installed by ryppl I expect to
> be done in a virtual environment that's set up just for development
> and testing...

Whoa! You mentioned before that you were expecting testers to run in a
virtual environment. I'm really worried this would seriously limit the
number of folks willing to participate as testers.

As a developer, I already use a virtual Linux machine on a Windows
host for occasional local Linux development work. I'd be willing to do
the same for Mac OS X, but apparently there is no license compliant
way I can do so on my Windows host.

But for my main development work, I want to use continue to use native
Windows, not run on a virtual machine. AFAIK, Microsoft's Windows XP
virtual machine is the only one I can legally use without buying
additional copies of Windows, which I'm not willing to do. But
regardless, the extra hassle of running in a virtual machine just
isn't worth it for a primary development machine. Although easier than
it was five years ago, it looks to me that it will be another five
years or more before virtual machines are up to that task.

--Beman