Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Boost.XInt formal review
From: Terry Golubiewski (tjgolubi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-02 12:46:29

This is definitely a useful library. Thanks.
I have a few some comments/suggestions to contribute.

I would prefer than highestbit just returned bitsize_t(-1) or some
predefined constant, similar to string::npos.
Conversion to/from dynamic_bitset would be nice.
Consider adding a function returning the number of ones in the integer. This
could be used to determine parity.
Consider adding a function to reverse the order of the bits. "reflect"
might be a good name.
Consider adding conversions to/from floating point types.
Should integer_traits and numeric_limits be specialized for xint?
I assume that xint is not thread-safe and just gives the user a way to force
a "real" copy for multi-threaded applications (I like it!).
Consider adding an endian argument to to_binary. Note that this could
affect both the ordering of bits within each byte as well as the ordering of
the bytes themselves. (I actually prefer the libary the way it is, assuming
little-endian.)
I like that xint includes move support.

terry