Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Performance of fixed-size large integers
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-04 20:10:41

Artyom wrote:
> [...]

Pass by reference is what real programmers who deal and maintain real code do. Rather that the false dicotomy between between COW and move lets answer the more fundamental question, why either? Just use expression templates. Don't bother to use proto for your expression templates, by the way, it is very easy to do yourself in this simple case.

This whole argument misses the point of optimizing code that uses a bigint class. You want to reuse the memory allocated in a bigint variable over and over instead of reallocating every time. Whether you make one unneeded allocation or two is a less important consideration than whether you make one or zero since 2/1 is a lot smaller than 1/0. If a temporary is generated by the user's code they have already pessimized their code. I am sorry, but you cannot avoid allocation with a return by value semantic, only expression templates allows you to reuse the storage on the left hand side of the assignment operator. Return by value is broken whether you use COW or MOVE so how about we focus on fixing it with a nice expression template based operator syntax using pass by reference and documentation that tells the user to avoid generating temporaries if they want to write code that will run as fast as possible. If they want to write expressions that generate temporaries it will be *no slower* than the current proposal, but at least they will have the option of writing code that is fast.

Right now it looks like the library needs revision before it can be accepted, and a second review is probably in order. I hope the author will rise the the challenge and overcome his defensiveness to produce something really worthwhile. As Beman said, this is the sort of thing that could become part of the standard and then compiler writers would give us really good implementation of that spec, so the focus should be on the interface and we shouldn't be in a hurry. If the best is the enemy of the good, then what is haste the enemy of?

Regards,
Luke