Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Boost.XInt formal review
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-09 10:35:21

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 03:23:52 -0500
Gordon Woodhull <gordon_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...] With apologies to those who are eager to get a big integer
> library into Boost ASAP, I have to vote No at this time, but with
> encouragement to Chad to resubmit when the library has gone through
> another round of revisions.

Thank you for the review and comments. Most of them don't require a
reply, but at the end, you added:

> [...] On an aside, I'm a little concerned to read twice this week
> about people finding their designs becoming muddled by peer review.
> That's not what should happen!

When at least some of the "peers" seem to have a lot more knowledge in
certain areas than you do, it's hard to properly evaluate their
suggestions, especially when they're not explicitly phrased as
suggestions.

Brilliance and BS are indistinguishable to someone who doesn't have a
complete grasp of all the issues involved. You can waste a lot of
valuable programming time in trying to understand a suggestion at a
deep enough level to agree or refute it, only to find that the original
suggester had no idea what he was talking about.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.