Subject: Re: [boost] [1.46.1] Release candidates available
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-10 13:00:00

On 3/10/2011 8:19 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I'll use this as another opportunity to advocate for physically locking
>> the release branch when we're gearing up for a release. How many more
>> times do we need to get burned? This was a lucky catch. Next time we
>> might not be so lucky.
>
> I'm interested. How would do you see that working?

How about this: when we're really close to release, the branch is locked
so all commits are rejected. When someone wants to merge a fix, they ask
permission. The release manager gives that one user commit access for 48
hrs or whatever. The access automatically expires.

I don't know if svn allows this kind of work flow. If not, then the
branch can be locked and patches given to the release manager, who
applies them himself. This is more work for the release manager, though.

We'd need an svn expert to chime in.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing