Subject: Re: [boost] [1.46.1] Release candidates available
From: eg (egoots_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-10 14:30:27

On 3/10/2011 10:00 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 3/10/2011 8:19 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> I'm interested. How would do you see that working?
>
> How about this: when we're really close to release, the branch is locked
> so all commits are rejected. When someone wants to merge a fix, they ask
> permission. The release manager gives that one user commit access for 48
> hrs or whatever. The access automatically expires.
>
> I don't know if svn allows this kind of work flow. If not, then the
> branch can be locked and patches given to the release manager, who
> applies them himself. This is more work for the release manager, though.
>
> We'd need an svn expert to chime in.

I suspect the simplest would be to set up a pre-commit hook script which
calls SVNLOOK and checks the "changed" and the "author" of the commit
and only allow those who are authorized to do so.

Someone will need to tweak it to add the allowed authors...

There are lots of scripts like this around, for example the following is
very similar (although it discusses preventing writing to the tags folders):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/464384/svn-pre-commit-hook-for-avoiding-changes-to-tags-subdirectories