Subject: Re: [boost] Real names (Was: Religious sensibility (WAS: RE: [XInt] CoW/Move Timings))
From: Hal Finkel (half_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-14 10:06:06

On Sun, 2011-03-13 at 21:01 +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Robert Kawulak wrote:
>
> >> From: Dave Abrahams

> >> Well, since you asked, your email address is rather weirdly
> >> constructed; it's almost as though you desire to assault the
> >> sensibilities of some of your fellow Boosters.
> >
> > I really don't want to start a pointless discussion on religion here, but this seems a bit unjust
> > to me. Satanism, after all, is just another variation on religion (and very different from what
> > people usually "know" Satanism is). Mentioning Satan may be as assaulting to someone's
> > sensibilities as mentioning God to someone's else, and the latter also happens from time to time
> > on this list. So let's just be fair and consistent and equally tolerate all religious accents or
> > tolerate none.
>
> Personally, I would suggest to establish a policy that every single post to this mailing
> list be required to use person's "real name" in the "From" field. If we're supposed to have
> constructive technical discussion, it's reasonable to require that all participant
> be accountable for their words, which obviously requires using real names and not "handles"
> that can be changed every other day.

As someone who follows this list closely, I vote for people using the
same name in the From header of their messages as they use for signing
their messages. This makes searching for past posts much easier,
especially when e-mail addresses change (because, for example, that way
I can search for Pavel's messages by typing Pavel into my search box).

 -Hal