Subject: Re: [boost] [boostcon][proto] Suggestion for LIAW session: fixed-point numbers
From: Ravi (lists_ravi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-15 01:31:49

On Sunday 13 March 2011 14:27:38 Joel Falcou wrote:
> What was the plan for LIAW this year ? IIRC some stuff were pointed otu
> last eyar as potential contenders.

Is the list of potential contenders available somewhere?

> > Proto would be used for creating all arithmetic operations since the
> > return type of a+b could be different from the type of either a or b. A
> > bonus would involve getting the fixed-point data type to play well with
> > std::complex (and, yes, I am aware that std::complex is not designed to
> > work with anything other than double and float, and will require
> > specialization in the std namespace).
>
> Well, isnt having a boost::complex data type be of interest too ?

It would be of interest to me but I am afraid that too much bike-shedding
might ensue. Complex numbers are extremely straightforward with multiple sets
of equivalent perfectly internally consistent minimal interfaces; in such
cases, personal preferences decide the interface, more or less. See N1589 for
examples.

> > If there is sufficient interest, I could even provide a starting point
> > with +,-,* implemented; / would take more time. The design above is
> > intended as a starting point for discussion and I am most definitely not
> > wedded to it. I am a tyro when it comes to proto, and hence would need
> > someone with more proto expertise to guide the discussion.
>
> I can help on this point

Are you volunteering/proposing to run the LIAW session? What is the standard
procedure for running the LIAW session?

Regards,
Ravi