Subject: Re: [boost] [boostcon][proto] Suggestion for LIAW session: fixed-point numbers
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-15 03:45:23

On 3/15/2011 12:31 PM, Ravi wrote:
> On Sunday 13 March 2011 14:27:38 Joel Falcou wrote:
>> What was the plan for LIAW this year ? IIRC some stuff were pointed otu
>> last eyar as potential contenders.
>
> Is the list of potential contenders available somewhere?

I don't know. Hartmut? Jeff?

>>> Proto would be used for creating all arithmetic operations since the
>>> return type of a+b could be different from the type of either a or b. A
>>> bonus would involve getting the fixed-point data type to play well with
>>> std::complex (and, yes, I am aware that std::complex is not designed to
>>> work with anything other than double and float, and will require
>>> specialization in the std namespace).
>>
>> Well, isnt having a boost::complex data type be of interest too ?
>
> It would be of interest to me but I am afraid that too much bike-shedding
> might ensue. Complex numbers are extremely straightforward with multiple sets
> of equivalent perfectly internally consistent minimal interfaces; in such
> cases, personal preferences decide the interface, more or less. See N1589 for
> examples.
>
>>> If there is sufficient interest, I could even provide a starting point
>>> with +,-,* implemented; / would take more time. The design above is
>>> intended as a starting point for discussion and I am most definitely not
>>> wedded to it. I am a tyro when it comes to proto, and hence would need
>>> someone with more proto expertise to guide the discussion.
>>
>> I can help on this point
>
> Are you volunteering/proposing to run the LIAW session? What is the standard
> procedure for running the LIAW session?

I know that in past years, Jeff has run the LIAW session. I expect this
year would be no exception, but it would certainly be good to have a
proto expert on hand. Joel would be perfect for that.

I just want to say I think a proto-based fixed-point number library is a
really fun idea for a LIAW project. Meaty and doable. I'm just sorry I
won't be attending this year to help!

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing