Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] quick review
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-15 11:39:32

Chad Nelson wrote:
> "Domagoj Saric" <domagoj.saric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > I can't believe that you deny that others before me objected
> > to the treatment of fixed-sized integers??
> > (Wrapping it in reverse/'positive' wording of 'focus on
> > unlimited-sized integers' does not imply a different issue.)

It does, however, clarify the purpose and theme of the library.

[snip]
> If you insist on (mis)translating my words, there's little
> point in continuing this conversation. My words are perfectly
> clear without the help.
>
> > [...] The fallaciousness is further compounded by the fact
> > that a way to 'make them work well' was already presented to
> > you multiple times and in previous discussions (e.g. I
> > briefly repeated my idea in the first post of this thread
> > which you simply chose to ignore)...
[snip]
> > 'Killing' the library was never my goal. Because all
> > objective arguments failed to convince you that in general,
> > fixed-sized integers are not second-class citizens and are
> > actually rather trivial to implement, I was left only with
> > unhappy tools of 'subjective arguments' in trying to show
> > you that there is 'something wrong' with your attitude.
>
> Perhaps translation *is* needed, because what I'm hearing is
> that because I insist on disagreeing with you, there must be
> something wrong with my attitude.

As far as I can see, Domagoj is using argumentative and aggressive language to drive home his point that fixed, but extended length integers are important and that XInt is not acceptable without them. Whether there had been prior communication on solutions is almost moot. Either Chad didn't see the suggestions or had reasons to reject them at the time. Thus, the library being offered is XInt, not Domagoj's version of it.

There is a great deal for Chad to do now to absorb the review comments and wend his way through the various suggestions to produce an updated version of the library. I think the result will be markedly improved from the current version, though with such drastic changes before the library, I'm unsure how similar it will prove to be to what's been reviewed. Nevertheless, it may well be that the result will enable Chad to understand how to provide fixed length integers better than he's done thus far.

Perhaps Domagoj can offer to review future versions and make *constructive* comments at that time. I'm reasonably confident that Chad will accept those comments and act upon them if he understands them and finds them consistent with his vision for the library. This is the way forward if the goal is improving the library rather than being destructive.

> > pps. can you please check the settings in your email client because
> > all of your posts look empty with .txt and .asc attachments to me
> > (Windows Live Mail) making it really difficult to reply to them...
>
> So far as I've been able to determine, Claws Mail has no options that
> affect that. It sounds like Windows Live Mail is misinterpreting the
> GPG signature.

FWIW, I see the text of his messages fine. I also get two attachments with his signature and what follows it (as attached by the majordomo).

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components