Subject: [boost] bcp (and config.hpp, user.hpp, shared_ptr.hpp) problem
From: Michael Matthews (james.matthews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-16 10:03:30

I am trying to compile (with VS2008) using a few boost tools pulled out
using bcp. I've used bcp before without trouble, but I just upgraded to
boost_1_46_1, and now I'm having trouble. I pulled the boost subset out
with:

C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_46_1>bcp filesystem.hpp foreach.hpp
property_tree
 shared_ptr.hpp fromBoost\

During compile, the problem is with shared_ptr. The shared_ptr.hpp file
includes this line at the top:

#include <boost/config.hpp> // for broken compiler workarounds

which causes config.hpp to be used (and it is correctly pulled by bcp),
which then causes this compile error (because user.hpp is not pulled, though
other files in boost/config/ are):

\fromboost\boost\config.hpp(26) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include
file: 'boost/config/user.hpp': No such file or directory

which is from these lines in the config.hpp file:

// if we don't have a user config, then use the default location:
#if !defined(BOOST_USER_CONFIG) && !defined(BOOST_NO_USER_CONFIG)
# define BOOST_USER_CONFIG <boost/config/user.hpp>
#endif
// include it first:
#ifdef BOOST_USER_CONFIG
# include BOOST_USER_CONFIG
#endif

What is the source of the problem, and what can I do to fix it? I am not
familiar with config.hpp or what it's used for, but a quick look at the
documentation makes me think that I shouldn't have to worry about it as a
library user. Should I manually being #defining BOOST_NO_USER_CONFIG? That
seems like a hack.

Thanks, Michael