Subject: Re: [boost] [Config] Big changes in C++0x detection...
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-17 12:51:24

On 3/17/2011 11:29 PM, Noah Roberts wrote:
> On 3/16/2011 1:53 PM, Stephan T. Lavavej wrote:
>> [Noah Roberts]
>>> The VS2010 compiler's decltype implementation gets a lot of
>>> things wrong though. It'll result in "T const" rather than "T" when
>>> used in auto returns and it gets function types wrong. I can't at the
>>> moment immediately think of the exact reproduction steps but I do know
>>> that decltype as implemented by 2010 is pretty far from being compliant.
>>> I still use it but every once in a while run into its issues.
>>
>> Please report such bugs through Microsoft Connect instead of suffering
>> in silence. If they affect you as a Boost developer or Boost user,
>> please explain that too - it helps us to understand the impact of a bug.
>>
>> Obviously we try to find and fix bugs ourselves, but submitting bug
>> reports helps us help you. :->
>
> I tried that route as have several others. Official response was, "We
> know, suck it."
<snip>

Haha! And hear hear! Stephan, I frequently file bugs through the Connect
website. Sometimes I wonder why because almost without exception they're
closed "Won't Fix". MS has a looooong ways to go here with their product
feedback. And also, how long did we have to wait for 2010 SP1? And it
doesn't fix the bugs I care about *and* it screws Windows SDK 7.1
users[1] *and* it messed up assembly signing[2]. Just terrible.

A humble suggestion: issue compiler patches out of band. And if you're
going to ask people to file bugs, fix them.

[1] http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=212355
[2] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2011/03/11/10140139.aspx

--
Eric Niebler