Subject: Re: [boost] [Config] Big changes in C++0x detection...
From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-17 15:15:53

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Nelson, Erik - 2
<erik.l.nelson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>  Michael Fawcett wrote on Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:13 PM
>> Pot meet kettle?  Boost has the same issues, in fact 1.46.1 is the
>> first point release in a long time, even when it was desperately
>> needed in the past.  It has tickets that languish for years in Trac.
>> Stephan seems to stay up to date with this list and seems to genuinely
>> try to better Visual Studio.  I can't see why he is being piled on.
>
> Just my experience, but Boost feels to me to be quite responsive.  It's released frequently, and with the next just a month or two away, I never have to wait long for improvements.  The few times that I've run into bugs that I couldn't wait for, I had no trouble finding someone that I could send my fixes to and getting into the release.
>
> All this for free from people who volunteer their time for free.

<snip enormous disclaimer>

Don't get me wrong, I love Boost and appreciate everything they do,
but they have the same problems they're jumping all over Stephan about
- Or maybe there's a levity and rapport between them that I'm unaware
of.

In fairness, since I don't want to spend my day looking up mailing
list references in support of my post, maybe I shouldn't have stuck my
nose in.

--Michael Fawcett