Subject: Re: [boost] [Config] Big changes in C++0x detection...
From: Noah Roberts (roberts.noah_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-17 18:09:40

On 3/17/2011 11:13 AM, Michael Fawcett wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Daniel Walker
> <daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Haha! And hear hear! Stephan, I frequently file bugs through the Connect
>>> website. Sometimes I wonder why because almost without exception they're
>>> closed "Won't Fix".
>>
>> Ditto. I've had the same experience.
>>
>> http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/571720/c-use-of-member-template-causes-internal-compiler-error
>
> This seems like an entirely reasonable response. I've heard similar
>
>>> A humble suggestion: issue compiler patches out of band. And if you're
>>> going to ask people to file bugs, fix them.
>>
>> +1
>
> Pot meet kettle? Boost has the same issues, in fact 1.46.1 is the
> first point release in a long time, even when it was desperately
> needed in the past. It has tickets that languish for years in Trac.
> Stephan seems to stay up to date with this list and seems to genuinely
> try to better Visual Studio. I can't see why he is being piled on.

Well, I for one wasn't piling on anyone. I was simply mentioning some
facts about decltype in 2010 having bugs as a possible reason why some
boost authors might not want to rely on it. I didn't even realize
Stephan was a part of the MS group when I replied to his suggestion to
post a bug, I was simply stating that it had been done albeit with some
frustration. The fact that I and other MS users don't exactly feel
listened to is probably not something he can do anything about.

As a professional developer I can understand triage. Being told to
submit a bug when you already did and where told it was a known, non-fix
issue though is mildly frustrating and I responded in some jest (though
I do sometimes get the feeling "suck it, we know you have to use it
anyway" is the MS-mantra). Certainly wasn't trying to single anyone out
for blame or abuse.

What bugs get fixed is usually guided more by what users will put up
with than what the developers think is important anyway, as we're
probably all very aware.