Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Chain over at Github
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-17 17:33:31

Hi Dean,

Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> Hi everyone, I just wanted to give a heads up to say that I'm actually
> now trying to get the Boost.Chain idea a little more weight by
> defining the interface of the type -- as you might remember, "chain"
> was pretty much the immutable string. I wanted to point those
> interested over to the Git repository and project page over on Github
> (https://github.com/mikhailberis/chain) and either watch the
> repository or submit pull requests if you fancy filling in some of the
> blanks there.

I wonder, would it be a good idea to put together some sort of "string
benchmark" suite? After all the previous discussion of string
implementation styles, and the similar COW-or-not discussions in the
XInt review, and considering the existing variations in string
implementations between standard libraries, maybe it would be a good
idea to try to quantify things?

Perhaps this has already been done by someone?

(Personally, although I use std::string a lot, it is almost never in an
inner loop or other critical code.)

Regards, Phil.