Subject: Re: [boost] [review scoreboards]
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-22 20:58:33

Sid Sacek wrote:
> Julian Gonggrijp wrote:
>
> > How important is it for you to read these reviews?
>
> I really would like to, but I find the sheer number of emails
> and the ensuing debates a bit daunting.
>
> Plus, the fact that the crucial review information being
> concentrated in a single location would make it so much easier.

This is fine, but the reviews and discussion will still occur on the list, as they have for years, so to get what you want, you or someone must scrape the list to produce it.

> > It would have to be automated, it would have to work really
> > well and it would have to forward the reviews to the mailing
> > list because most mailing list members will still prefer to
> > get them by email. I think it's unlikely that someone will
> > be willing to build such a system for free.
>
> What? isn't it a single web page with some JavaScript?

Certainly a good deal more. Whether any one is willing to do it -- yourself included -- is another matter.

> > I suspect that most reviewers will prefer to stick with the
> > mailing list because they're reading the list anyway.
>
> I believe that attitude is similar to when the automobile was
> invented, and more recently the computer itself. How many of
> these boosters don't drive or own a computer?

This list is a well established mechanism. Anything else must be clearly superior for the vast majority of participants to gain traction. With the automobile, people were able to purchase them as they were inclined. No mass changeover was required. To switch away from the current process, in a similar fashion, requires a bidirectional gateway, which is an even larger problem than scraping the mailing list to build the scoreboard you want.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components