Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC'11 [Own Idea] -Mentor Needed
From: Andrew Sutton (asutton.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-26 12:06:16

> What do you think of the job of gathering, completing (i.e. with docs
> and tests) polishing, and submitting all that work as a GSOC project?

Ambitious? Seriously, though... The amount of work required to
implement a Boost-quality library is way more than a 3 month project.
Even if the library consists of a few relatively simple abstractions,
I think it's unlikely that a Boost-ready library can be completed by
the end of the summer. This sentiment has been echoed a number of
times on the list, already.

Successful projects, those that actually make it into the Boost
release seem to take about year, in some cases 2 or 3. I don't think
that's the for maintenance or extension projects, but for new
development, certainly.

> Note: most (probably all) STL implementations use RB trees in their
> implementations, but they don't expose an RB-tree interface, which,
> had it been available, could have been used to implement e.g. interval
> sets).  So I don't see that as redundant

That's a good point. Doesn't the intrusive library have an RB-tree
with an binary tree interface, though?

Andrew