Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC'11 [Own Idea] -Mentor Needed
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-26 10:20:42

At Sat, 26 Mar 2011 08:44:21 -0500,
Andrew Sutton wrote:

> Hi Sitesh
>
> > The idea is to provide template based containers which will provide general
> > purpose tree containers as there are for Stack, Queue and few others in the
> > Standard Template Library. As of now, I would like to propose the library to
> > consist of 5 containers which includes:
> > 1. Binary Search Trees
> > 2. Red-Black Trees
> > 3. B-Trees
> > 4. Binomial Heaps
> > 5. Fibonacci Heaps
>
> I don't believe that this would be a suitable GSoC project for Boost.
> The C++ Standard Library already uses red-black trees to implement set
> and map, there has been recent work on B-trees (B+ trees?) for Boot
> and, (as Tim says), he worked on binomial and fibonacci heaps last
> summer.
>
> If you are serious about submitting a proposal for Boost, then your
> best bet is to identify a single data structure or small set of
> closely related data structures that are either not in the Standard
> Library or Boost, or are not well-supported in either library.

Andrew,

What do you think of the job of gathering, completing (i.e. with docs
and tests) polishing, and submitting all that work as a GSOC project?

Note: most (probably all) STL implementations use RB trees in their
implementations, but they don't expose an RB-tree interface, which,
had it been available, could have been used to implement e.g. interval
sets). So I don't see that as redundant

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing