Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC'11 [Own Idea] -Mentor Needed
From: Gordon Woodhull (gordon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-26 15:35:29

Hi Sitesh,

I believe that in addition to the prior GSOC project there was at least one other tree library proposed (search the list). Trees require a more complex interface than a regular container and I'm not sure if there is consensus what that should look like.

Boost.Intrusive has quite a few trees but I believe it only exposes the associative container interface.

> I was wondering, how can 8 hours a day of work for almost 10 weeks during summers won't suffice for at least completion of Core Features. I can always carry it on further so as to raise it above standards, in case that's required.

You would definitely need to commit to working on it further, because just completing the core features doesn't really make it useful to anyone or boost quality. Documentation, tests, examples, hashing out the feature set with users.....

> Also, please help me out to narrow down the features, which one thinks are good for GSoC and where I can a mentor for it ?

Unfortunately, I am not qualified as a mentor - I don't have my own library in yet, really, and will be putting my whole summer into it. :-)

> In case, My ideas are not that fascinating, please tell me where to include or modify ?

I think there is plenty of interest in a Tree library, but you've got scope and interface issues here. Wish I could help more!

Cheers,
Gordon