Subject: Re: [boost] Why Boost.Build?
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-27 04:55:53

Gregory Crosswhite wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Is there a reason why Boost uses Boost.Jam/Boost.Build for reasons other
> than tradition? Does it have advantages over other build systems, in
> particular CMake (which I consider to be its main competitor)? Are
> there many people/projects who use Boost.Jam/Boost.Build outside of Boost?
>
> These questions are asked purely out of curiosity due to my ignorance of
> Boost.Jam/Boost.Build, not because I have an axe to grind.

First, this question is better asked on the Boost.Build mailing list.
(boost-build_at_[hidden]).

Second, some high-level description and comparison with exising build tools
can be found at http://syrcose.ispras.ru/2009/files/04_paper.pdf

In summary, whilst CMake was around for considerably more time and has
some features that Boost.Build has not yet caught up with, is also comes
with various historic baggage, and does not even remote approximation of
most interesting Boost.Build features, in particular portable build
properties and multivariant builds. I believe it will take Boost.Build
less time to catch up on missing features that it would take to beat
CMake the other way around (if that's even possible).

Let's continue on boost-build mailing list, if you're interested.

- Volodya

--
Vladimir Prus
Mentor Graphics