Subject: Re: [boost] Why Boost.Build?
From: Alexander Arhipenko (arhipjan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-27 07:00:01

Hi,
On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Gregory Crosswhite
<gcross_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Is there a reason why Boost uses Boost.Jam/Boost.Build for reasons other
> than tradition?  Does it have advantages over other build systems, in
> particular CMake (which I consider to be its main competitor)?  Are there
> many people/projects who use Boost.Jam/Boost.Build outside of Boost?

I don't know if there are many projects,
but my company uses boost.build as officicial build system.
It was choosen due to its high portability and minimal dependencies.
You only need to have C compiler and boost.build scripts installed and
that is it.
You don't need to depend on specific IDEs, autotools and even deep-seated make.
Also, Jamfile declarative language looks pretty simple and expressive to me.
For sure, it has issues: weak documentation, some tricky syntax
('space before ;' issue, I guess it's fixed now) etc.
But from own experience, I can say that (after you overcome some
obscure issues)
it just works.

> These questions are asked purely out of curiosity due to my ignorance of
> Boost.Jam/Boost.Build, not because I have an axe to grind.
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

Regards