Subject: Re: [boost] Why Boost.Build?
From: Vicente BOTET (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-30 12:11:12

> Message du 26/03/11 16:09
> De : "Gregory Crosswhite"
> A : boost_at_[hidden]
> Copie à :
> Objet : [boost] Why Boost.Build?
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> Is there a reason why Boost uses Boost.Jam/Boost.Build for reasons other
> than tradition? Does it have advantages over other build systems, in
> particular CMake (which I consider to be its main competitor)? Are
> there many people/projects who use Boost.Jam/Boost.Build outside of Boost?
>
> These questions are asked purely out of curiosity due to my ignorance of
> Boost.Jam/Boost.Build, not because I have an axe to grind.

Hi,

I like Boost.Build, and I think it responds to the needs the developers of Boost have.
CMake was included, I don't remember on which version, in a intrusive way without requesting even a review. Fortunately it has been removed from the official distribution.

I agree that the Boost.Build documentation can be improved and that there are some features that could be added as any tool. The question is how Boost.Build could be now if all the effort to adapt CMake to Boost and write threads like this one had been used to improve the documentation and add the missing features?

Just my 2cts
Vicente