Subject: Re: [boost] [lexical-cast] version of lexical_cast in 1.46.1 is quite older than in trunk
From: Matthew Chambers (matt.chambers42_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-30 11:16:46

On 3/30/2011 9:22 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Michael Goldshteyn wrote:
>
>> "SergV"<serge-voropaev_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>>> We discovered lexical_cast from 1.43 and 1.46.1 versions do not work in
>>> our
>>> program. But version of lexical_cast from trunk work very well. Version
>>> information:
>>> 1.46.1 - rev. 56161 13.09.2009
>>> trunk - rev.65279 5.09.2010
>>>
>>> 1) Is there any reason that release does not include last version
>>> lexical_cast
>>> from trunk?
>>> 2) May be there are a lot of such forgotten files in trunk?
>
>> This is really sad!
>
> Do you volunteer to maintainer lexical_cast?
Does that mean lexical_cast is orphaned? I'd like to see lexical_cast have optimized conversions for
string->number and number->string (template specializations using strtol/strtod; or optionally using
the spirit-based construe_cast). Being able to pass ios flags to control the format (i.e. boolalpha)
would be nice too.

The only hurdle I see was mentioned on 2010/01/19 by Alexander Nasonov:
> You can't use C functions from C++ without saving the old C locale and restoring
> it after a conversion. Now, if you take into account multi-threading ...
This would be a big argument in favor of construe_cast I guess.

-Matt